COLONEL SIR WILLIAM GREEN, K.C.B.
A cabinet card three-quarter length
portrait photograph of Sir William Green in
the uniform of an infantry Colonel.

In the photo Sir William is wearing the
neck badge and breast star of a Knight
Commander of the Honourable Order of the
Bath (Military Division), a Crimea medal
with clasp for Sevastopol, an Indian Mutiny
medal with clasp for Lucknow, an Ashanti
medal, an Egypt medal with five clasps, the
breast badge of the 4th Class of the Order
of Osmanieh, a Turkish Crimea medal and
the Khedive’s Star.  

The bottom of the mount of the photo has
unfortunately been trimmed, probably in
order to fit the photo into an album, which
removed the name and location of the
photographer.

The photo was probably taken circa May of
1894 when Colonel Green was elevated from
a C.B. to a K.C.B. contemporaneous with the
expiration of the term of his appointment as
Colonel commanding the 75th Regimental
District (Gordon Highlanders) at Aberdeen.
                                                                    THE TIMES
                                                                   19 MAY 1897
                                                                    OBITUARY

COLONEL SIR WILLIAM GREEN, K.C.B., died on Sunday night at his residence, Lynnburn, Aberlour, Scotland.  He
was on Wednesday seized with a paralytic stroke from which he never rallied.  Sir William Green, who was born in
1836, joined the Army in January, 1855, and served with the 42nd Highlanders in the Crimean campaign from July 14,
1855, including the siege and fall of Sevastopol, for which he received the medal with clasp and the Turkish medal.  He
also served in the Indian Mutiny campaign, being present at the actions of Kudygunge and Shumsabad, the siege and fall
of Lucknow, the assault on the Martiniere and Bank’s bungalow, the attack on the Fort of Rooyah, the action of
Allygunge, the attach and capture of Bareilly, Sisseaghat.  

He was mentioned in despatches and received the medal with clasp.  He became a captain in 1859 and a major in 1872.  
In the Ashanti campaign he embarked for the Gold Coast with the 42nd Highlanders, and was there placed in command of
100 men at Yancomassie Fanti, receiving the medal.  Sir William Green became a lieutenant-colonel in 1881 and served
with the 1st Battalion of the Black Watch in the Egyptian War of 1882, and was present at the battle of Tel-el-Kebir,
being mentioned in despatches and being awarded the medal with clasp, the 4th Class of the Osmanieh and Khedive’s
Star.  In the Sudan Expedition of 1884 he was in command of the 1st Battalion of the Black Watch, and was present in
the engagement of El Teb and Tamai.  He was slightly wounded, was mentioned in despatches, was granted two clasps, and
made a C.B.

He was in command of the same battalion in the Nile expedition of 1884-85, and was present at the action of Kirbekan,
receiving two clasps and being again mentioned in despatches.  He retired in 1893.  Sir W. Green married, in 1862,
Williamina, daughter of Mr. John Gordon, of Leith.  He was a Deputy-Lieutenant and J.P. for the county of Banff.