28th January 1841 – Robert Garrod born in the parish of St Paul, Norwich, to Edward and Ann Garrod. (Army records show birth in
the adjoining parish of St James’s Norwich indicating a birth date of February 1840). Edward Garrod had been born on 25th
January 1822 in the parish of St Martin at Oak, Norwich and had married Ann Webb on 1st May 1838 at St Paul, Norwich.

7th June 1841 – Census shows Robert, age 4 months, living with parents in St Paul, Norwich. Father’s occupation shown as Wool

18th July 1843 – Robert’s father, Edward, is made Freeman of the City of Norwich as a Wool Comber, son of Robert Devine Garrod,
a Clothier. The previous three generations had also been Freemen.

1851 – No record of Robert or parents in census.

5th August 1857 – With the Service Companies of the 96th Foot on route to Aldershot having been posted from Gibraltar, the
96th have a Depot under command of Captain P.J.J. Grant at Parkhurst Barracks on the Isle of Wight. Robert Garrod enlists for the
96th Foot at Norwich where he is described as being 17 years old & 5ft 5½in tall, he is paid £1 10s as a bounty with 2s 6d going to
the recruiting party.

14th August 1857 – Garrod arrives at the 96th Depot on the Isle of Wight where he is given the regimental number of 13
(numbering having restarted from 1 in November of 1856).

1st December 1857 – With the Service Companies now stationed at Aldershot, the majority of the Depot is sent to join them, 80
men plus officers making the journey. Garrod is sick in Hospital at Aldershot for 24 days in December and a further 4 days in the
new year.

16th June 1858 – 796 men of the 96th begin passage from Aldershot to the new station of Plymouth, the journey taking 2 days by
road and rail (227 miles). Initially the Regiment are in the Citadel, but then move to the Raglan Barracks at Devonport.

August & September 1858 – Garrod is shown as being ‘on detachment’

December 1858 – By the end of the month the 96th are stated as being at Devonport.

June 1859 – Garrod is in hospital for 4 days over the muster period.

4th August 1859 – The majority of the 96th move from Plymouth to Manchester over a 2 day period. A detachment of 290 men
travel to Weedon on the 2nd of August and rejoin the unit in Manchester on the 20th of September. The passage was achieved by
taking ship to Liverpool and then rail to Manchester.

October – December 1859 – Garrod is in hospital for 9 days during this period.

1st December 1859 – Garrod is on furlough from this date to the 15th of January 1860. On return from furlough he is in a
detachment under Col. Sgt. Richard Bond at Stockport until the end of March 1860.

5th May 1860 – The 96th begin a journey from Manchester to Plymouth (which takes 9 days) and there they embark on ships to
Dublin. The Regimental History states that they left from Liverpool (which would make more sense), but the pay books state

30th June 1860 – The 96th move from Dublin to the Curragh Camp.

5th October 1860 – 579 men of the 96th move from the Curragh to Dublin over a two day period. There they are quartered in the
Palatine Square, Royal & Ship Street Barracks.

7th February 1861 – Private Robert Garrod receives his first Good Conduct payment of 1d/day.

5th April 1861 – 551 men of the 96th Foot make the journey from Dublin to the Curragh over a 2 day period.

7th April 1861 – Census shows Garrod’s father, Edward, a Sergeant of Police living at Norwich Heigham, age 39, with his wife and 8
children aged 6 months to 16 years.

8th May 1861 – The 96th are presented with new colours by General H. Shirley C.B., Commander of the Troops in the Curragh.
They were carried by the unit until 1886 and are now in Manchester Cathedral.

26th September 1861 – The 96th begins to move in groups to Newry, 114 men (26/9 to 02/10), 124 men (27/9 to 03/10), 126
men (28/9 to 04/10) & 113 men (30/9 to 05/10). The baggage, sick and women begin the trip on the 1st of October. Three other
companies were sent to Enniskillen to take up station there.

1st November 1861 – Garrod is on furlough from this date until the 15th of December 1861.

23rd-24th December 1861 – The CO of the 96th having been ordered to readiness for possible deployment to North America for
what became known as the ‘Trent Affair’ the 96th take trains from Newry & Enniskillen back to the Curragh.. and from there entrain
to Cork on the 28th of December (6 companies, including Garrod) and the 4th of January 1862 (4 companies).

6th January 1862 – The HQ & 6 companies (including Garrod) board the steam transport ‘Victoria’ at Queenstown, Cork. The ship
proceeded to sea, but encountered bad weather and was obliged to return to Cork by the 21st of January, the men being taken off
the vessel whilst she was repaired and put up at Cork Barracks.

7th January 1862 – The remainder of the 96th board the ‘Calcutta’ at Queenstown, disembarking at New Brunswick on the 12th of
February 1862.

13th February 1862 – The ‘Victoria’ is again embarked on, and the ship proceeds out into the Atlantic from Queenstown where
again she meets severe gales.

23rd February 1862 – At around 120 miles from the Azores the engines on the ‘Victoria’ break down and it is discovered that the
ship is fast making water in the engine room and the aft compartment. The troops are used to man the pumps, but they quickly
become choked and useless. By the following day there is 5ft of water in the engine room and the troops had to resort to baling
the water out.. which they did for four days of constant labour until the depth of water had decreased enough for the engines to
be restarted.

28th February 1862 – The ‘Victoria’ manages to get to the Bay of Horta, Fayal, in the Azores and here drop anchor and begin
repairs to try and stop the leaks.

6th March 1862 – Having carried out the possible repairs the ship sets course for Plymouth, arriving at that port six days later
where the troops are disembarked and housed in the Raglan Barracks, Devonport and Millbay Barracks, Plymouth. The 96th, along
with a detachment of RE on board under Lieut. Ardagh (later a Major General), were actually thanked by the Admiralty for their
work in saving the ‘Victoria’ along with a letter of appreciation by the Queen. Captain Reid of the 96th was onboard during the
voyage and he later wrote this as part of his account:
‘After we had spent a few days in barracks, the Victoria, with Lieut. Ardagh and a working party of RE with I forget how many miles
of telegraph wire, arrived, and we were hustled on board. We set sail – the engines were only auxiliary – in the teeth of a gale which
in a day or two amounted to a hurricane. We had 600 men on board. The Victoria was totally unfit for an Atlantic voyage, having
been built for the Australian trade. The engines could not face a heavy sea – several men were killed or badly injured during the
gale, their sufferings were terrible – the rigging was rotten and we lost every sail. I well remember the last one, which went off with
a bang and split into ribbons! We knocked about until our coal was nearly exhausted and then had to come back and refit. We re-
embarked in about a fortnight and not one of the original crew, except the lamp-lighter, or one of the ship’s officers, except the
Purser, would come with us. Ardagh employed part of his enforced leisure while on shore in composing a poem, from which came
the following lines:-

‘It blew so hard, it blew the buttons slick from off a Bugler’s coat;
and a comrade dear of Atkins had his pipe blown down his throat!’

We started with new officers and a fresh crew – and a nice lot of scoundrels they were! Sometimes we had to keep them at the
wheel with bayonet sentries. First we were blown nearly up to Iceland, then down to the Azores. The rudder-chains were continually
breaking and at last we sprung a leak and lay helpless in the trough of the sea with six feet of water in the engine room. Had it not
been for Ardagh and his engineers we would have gone down. The engine pumps choked and the ship’s engineer could not account
for it. Ardagh made his men unscrew them and found them choked with a pair of socks belonging to one of the ship’s stokers. He
rigged up temporary pumps made up of the men’s mess tables and in about 3 days we were able to light the fires and head for
Fayal Harbour, the nearest land. Even there we were nearly driven on shore by a gale.
A Confederate steamer the ‘Annie Childs’, having run the blockade from New Orleans, remained for a few hours in harbour, so our
colonel and also the ship’s Captain took this opportunity of sending home despatches respecting our helpless condition. However,
Ardagh and his men worked like slaves, tinkered up the engines, and we started under easy steam and got to Plymouth. The men-
of-war the Admiral sent out to bring us home missed us and got into frightful weather, whereas we had the sea as calm as a
millpond. We must have been at sea altogether for three months and, having started from Cork Harbour and landed at Plymouth, in
the end found ourselves 300 miles farther from our destination than when we first set sail.

The Trent Affair having by this time been settled, the military authorities decided that they would remain in England, so the HQ
Companies were embarked at Plymouth on the 1st of April 1862 on the ‘Revenge’ and disembarked at Portsmouth, proceeding then
on a march to Shorncliffe Camp. Those elements of the 96th that had actually got to Canada arrived at Portsmouth in early May
and arrived at Shorncliffe on the 9th of that month. The ‘Victoria’ was eventually docked in London and declared sea-worthy
(apparently the leak being occasioned by a sea-cock being left open), she was however eventually lost in the Baltic.

August-December 1862 – Garrod spends 36 days in hospital in the first half of this period and 85 days in hospital during the
second half. Plainly his health is not good, and so when the 96th is ordered overseas for service at the Cape, he is ordered to
remain at the Depot.

12th February 1863 – Garrod is ordered to the Depot Companies, the Service Companies march to Portsmouth and board the
transport ‘Himalaya’ to East London two days later, arriving at the end of March. The Depot companies under Captain R.D. Douglas
and A.E. Cookson are sent initially to Chichester.

21st March 1863 – Depot companies march to Portsmouth and from there take passage to Belfast, arriving on the 25th of March.

1st November 1863 – Garrod is on furlough from this date until the 11th of December 1863, probably again due to his health as he
is in hospital again at the end of December 1863.

October 1864 – Shown as being on ‘escort’ at this muster.

1st December 1864 – On furlough from this date until the 11th of January 1865. In hospital at the end of January 1865.

15th December 1865 – Garrod marries Catherine Shannon, Mill Worker daughter of Patrick Shannon, at St Anne’s Church of
Ireland, Belfast. Marriage record shows his name as Edward Robert Garrod, Soldier with Regiment, son of Edward R Garrod, Police

7th February 1866 – Garrod is awarded with a 2nd penny of good conduct pay after 8 years of service. Captains Kirkwood &
Tulloch are in command of the depot in Belfast at this time.

6th June 1866 – The 96th Foot Depot Companies are transferred from the 10th Depot Battalion at Belfast to the 8th Depot
Battalion at Colchester. The men board ship at Dublin the following day and disembark at Gravesend on the 9th of June.

July-September 1866 – Garrod is on fatigue duty in this period, he then is shown as ‘duty’ until December 1866 and ‘Battalion
employ’ for the first three months of 1867.

April-June 1867 – Garrod is listed as being at ‘officers mess’ from which we can assume he was either a steward or a servant.

23rd August 1867 – Pte. Robert Garrod re-engages at Colchester to complete to pension (another 11 years, 168 days). He is paid
£2 commutation in lieu of free kit, a £2 1s bounty and £1 marching money.

November 1867 to February 1868 – Garrod is listed as ‘Garrison employ’.

14th March 1868 – A draft from the depot companies, under command of Captain E.J. Scovell and including Garrod, is sent to the
Service Companies. The men transit from Colchester to Portsmouth, there being 175 men, 7 women and 4 children in the party.
The Service Companies had departed South Africa in late 1865 and arrived at Bombay, from there marching to Poona. By March of
1868 they were still at that station.

23rd April 1868 – The draft under Scovell arrives with the HQ at Poona.

5th November 1868 – Alice Annie Garrod born Poona, India, to Edward Robert & Catherine Garrod. She was baptised on 22nd

13th-15th January 1869 – The 96th embarks at Bombay in the transports Orwell, Rinaldo & Michael Angelo for transit to Calcutta.
On arrival here the main party of the regiment proceeds to Dum Dum with detachments at Barrackpore and Berhampore. The
detachment at Barrackpore under Captain Edward Boyle is where Garrod is to be stationed, remaining here until November of 1869
when the 96th are brought into Calcutta and are present during the visit of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh.
The whole Battalion is then stationed at Dum Dum.

2nd June 1870 – Garrod is granted 3d/day good conduct pay.

November 1870 – The Battalion moves in halves by both road and river to Dinapore, arriving there on the 17th and 24th
respectively, the journey taking around 9 days.

2nd April 1871 – Census shows Garrod’s father, Edward, a Sergeant of Police living at Keswick, Norwich, age 49, with his wife and 5
children aged 7 - 17.

November 1871 – The HQ & Right wing of the 96th are moved to Sonepore and encamped for the purpose of providing a Guard of
Honour at the reception of the Prime Minister of Nepal. The camp is moved twice due to outbreaks of cholera and the unit is
reformed at Dinapore by the 10th of December having lost 6 men to this disease.

August 1873 – After a period of stability at Dinapore the 96th are informed that they will shortly be returning to England.
Volunteers were called for to remain in India and 185 men do so, being sent to no less than 24 units.

9th November 1873 – The 96th leave Dinapore by rail and proceeded via Deolali to Bombay, where they embarked on the Troopship
HMS Crocodile on the 21st. The strength of the battalion on leaving India was 23 officers, 552 OR’s, 50 women and 105 children.

21st December 1873 – HMS Crocodile arrives at Portsmouth and the 96th Foot disembark. Then entrain at the port for passage to
Brentwood, marching from there to Warley.

2nd February 1874 – Robert Garrod is on furlough from this date to the 14th of February. During this period, on the 7th, he is
granted a 4th penny of good conduct pay.

3rd February 1875 – Garrod marries 24 year old spinster, Lydia Hall, in Little Warley, Essex. Certificate shows name as Edward
Robert Garrod, Widower, Private 96th Regiment age 35 with father “in the Police Force“. Lydia already has a daughter, Edith, born
in 1873 in Cranham, Essex, who takes Garrod’s surname. No record has been found of the death of Garrod’s first wife, Catherine.

15th March 1875 – 250 men of the 96th take passage from Warley to Colchester, another 181 men following 12 days later.

1st December 1875 – Garrod is on furlough from this date to the 17th of December.

19th June 1875 – Ernest Edward Francis Garrod born 1875, Married Quarters, Abbey Hill, Colchester, to Edward Robert & Lydia

28th July 1876 – 542 men of the 96th entrain at Colchester for passage to the South Camp, Aldershot.

December 1876 – The married lists appear in the musters of the 96th for the first time and show that Garrod was married to a
woman called Lydia and that he had two children aged 8 and 1. He had joined the official list on the 3rd of February 1875.

27th July 1877 – The 96th depart Aldershot camp, with 282 men going to Chester, 138 men to Liverpool and 136 to Weedon. A
further company proceeded Castletown on the Isle of Man.

September 1878 – The married list of the 96th shows Garrod now has 3 children aged 9, 4 and 3m.

5th October 1878 – The 96th transfer from Chester and the other detachment areas to Manchester and went into barracks there.

31st January 1879 – A Regimental Board is held at Manchester consisting of Captains A. Church, E. Phillipps and H. Marryat which
considers the request of Garrod to be discharged to pension after 21 years pensionable service. Garrod was stated as having
served in the East Indies for 5 years and 252 days and never having been tried or indeed entered in the defaulter book. He was at
that time in possession of a Long Service and Good Conduct medal with a gratuity of £5 per annum, awarded in 1874.

7th February 1879 – Garrod gains his 5th penny of Long Service & Good Conduct pay.

18th February 1879 - #13 Private Robert Garrod of the 96th Foot is discharged at Manchester. He gives his intended residence as
being at Cranham, nr Romford, Essex. The army pay the fare by train for himself and his family, transiting from Manchester to
London and then on to Romford. At his time of discharge he is 39 years old, 5ft 10¾ inches tall, fresh complexion, hazel eyes,
brown hair and a labourer by trade. He had no scars or marks on his body. His Chelsea number was 67284a.

1879 – The death of Garrod’s father, Edward, is registered in Norwich in the October to December quarter.

March 1881 – The census taker finds Garrod in Hornchurch, near Romford, where he is using the name of ‘Edward R. Garrod’ and
living at 143 High Street, his trade being that of a fishmonger. His wife Lydia is 10 years his junior (she was born nearby in
Cranham) and he has a daughter called Alice Anna aged 12 (born in Poona, India on the 5th of November 1868 and Christened on
the 22nd according to the IGI), an 8 year old daughter called Edith (born in Cranham) and a 6 year old son called Ernest Edward F.
who was born in Colchester in the September 1875 quarter*.

March 1891 – The census of this year finds Garrod living at 125 Church Street, Hornchurch with his 15 year old son, he is described
as a 52 year old agricultural labourer. Also at the address is his daughter Alice who is married to a man called James German and
they have a 1 year old son called Edward. Plainly there has been a collapse in the family structure as his wife Lydia is now living in
Salford near Manchester, the wife of a 34 year old guard on the ship canal called Henry Greenfield. Lydia had thus replaced her 50
year old husband with a man 16 years his junior. Also living with Lydia was her youngest daughter Edith who is an 18 year old

1905 – Robert Edward Garrod as he is shown is 68 years old supposedly at his death in the Romford district in the first quarter of

*Ernest Edward Francis Garrod followed his father into the Military and joined the 4th Dragoon Guards at Hounslow on the 26th of
November 1891, he was numbered as #3939 of that corps. He proceeded to India with that unit and fought in the Punjab Frontier
Wars of 1897-8 for which he got a medal. Garrod went to South Africa in 1900 and fought in the Boer War, taking his discharge by
purchase in Bloemfontein in October 1902, at that point he was a Corporal Shoeing Smith.  

References –

WO 12/9631 to 9650 – Musters, 96th Foot 1857-77
WO 16/2051 – Muster, 96th Foot, 1877-9
History of the Manchester Regiment – Col. H.C. Wylly C.B. – Vol. 1
WO 97/1965 – Chelsea Hospital discharge papers (Robert).
Genealogical sources
Robert Garrod – 96th Foot (1857-79)