John Bulled
He was the son of William Bulled and Sarah Quick. His father served in
the RM and earned a first China medal aboard Nimrod and a wide LSGC in
1852, coincidentally about the time that John was earning his Pegu medal.

John Bulled was born in Portsmouth, Hampshire in May 1833, according
to the Navy but all census and other material point to him being born in
Witheridge, Devon c1835. He 
joined the Royal Navy on 22nd November
1849 aboard the 74 gun H.M.S.
Hastings, serving three commissions aboard
her. While serving as a Boy on Hastings he earned an India General Service
medal with the clasp for Pegu. (The medal was extant in 1978)

He was then posted to H.M.S. Brisk from 6th May 1853, being part of
her first crew
 on commissioning, and as such was sent for service on the
North America and
 West Indies Station, her task being to stop slave
boats, but then with the 
outbreak of the Crimean War, he saw service
aboard her in the White Sea,
 blockading Archangel from 27th March
1854, as part of Sir Erasmus
 Ommanney's Squadron, and then having
returned to England in the Spring of
 1854, and signed on for a second
commission, then sailed across the globe,
 and operated on the Russian
Pacific Coast under the command of Commander
 Alfred John Curtis,
and on 1st June 1855 she was part of the Squadron which
Petropalovski Harbour, but found it abandoned. The ports batteries

and magazines were then destroyed, and on the 7th June 1855 the
witnessed the eruption of the volcano Koselskoi. Bulled then saw
 service aboard her on the Pacific Station before returning
with the ship 
for paying off at Plymouth on 13th June 1857.

He was next posted to the 98 gun second rate ship of the line H.M.S.

Impregnable from 14th June 1857 in the rank of Able Seaman, and was
similarly posted aboard the converted 74 gun H.M.S. Ajax 
10th October 1857, before joining the 90 gun H.M.S. Exmouth from
1st October 1858, and going on to serve six
 commissions aboard her,
then posted to the Prince Adelaide at Devonport from 15th October
1862, following this, he was then posted to
 Pembroke from 26th
November 1862, serving in the rank of Boatman and
attached to the
Coast Guard, he served at various stations, before joining 
the H.M.S.
Penelope, as Commissioned Boatman from 12th
 June 1869, which operated
with the Coast Guard as part of the Channel
 Squadron, as well as during
the period she was guard ship at Harwich.

 was employed under Penelope with the Coast Guard Station at
 from 1st January 1873, though around this time he also
qualified as a
Torpedo Man, and was then with the station at Harwich
from 8th May 1873,
 followed by the one at Haven Hole on Canvey Island
from 1st July 1875, and at Saint Margaret's Bay from 1st April 1876,  
with the outbreak of
 Hostilities in Egypt, he was then returned aboard
H.M.S. Penelope, and saw
 active served at the bombardment of
Alexandria on 11th July 1882. Having been paid off from Penelope
on 20th May 1887, Bulled was then posted
 to H.M.S. Hotspur and
he was ultimately pensioned ashore on 17th May 1888.

His Egypt medal was delivered on board on April 4, 1883. He wasn’t the
only Coast Guard Officer on the roll for Penelope, there were a total of 8.
In addition to Bulled, the following were listed and many have appeared
for sale in recent years:

  • Bates, G.E (DNW June 2006)
  • Carroll, Timothy (DNW Dec. 2008)
  • Latto, Edward
  • Pover, W.J.
  • Smith, Edward
  • Sayer, Henry (DNW June 2012)
  • Symes, John (DNW Dec 08)
HMS Penelope
Egypt and Sudan Medal 1882-1889, reverse dated 1882,
1 Clasp: Alexandria
 11th: July; (J. BULLED. CHF: OFFR: C.G. H.M.S. "PENELOPE.")

to Caroline Willcocks (Widger)
who died in a lunatic Asylum in 1883,
then to Margaret Baker (Gage) in
1884. She was only 30 at the time
and died 4 years later. Finally in 1891
he married his third wife Celia Ann Cove
(Rowe) in 1891 who outlived him.
All three of his wives had been married
before. He had three children by
his first wife and a daughter with his

In later life, John was an agent for
the Prudential Assurance. He died in
Plymouth in December 1915