Crimea Pair to Daniel Bailey HMS London
Daniel Baker was born in Berwick upon Tweed
on 29 May 1814 and entered the navy as a Boy
1st class in April 1831 aboard St Vincent

He was promoted to Ordinary Seaman on July
1832 and served aboard HMS Despatch a 14
gun Sloop launched 20 years earlier. She was
refitted at Chatham in the summer of 1832
and Daniel served a total of 3 years aboard
her primarily in the West Indies.  On
Christmas day 1833 detained in lat. 3° 49' N.,
long. 39° 32' W., en route from Ayudah to St.
Jago de Cuba, to the windward of the
Barbadoes, the Spanish slave schooner Rosa, of
75 tons, Jozé Villadarga, master, with 292
slaves on board, which was sent for
adjudication to the British and Spanish Mixed
Court at Havana, and on 15 Feb 1834 sentenced
to be condemned.  Daniel was promoted to AB
on Sept 1, 1834.while on board Despatch.  

His next ship HMS Rodney was part of the
Mediterranean Station and had a complement
of 677 men and was commanded by Hyde
Parker. By coincidence, she later served in
the Crimea and her crew like those on HMS
London, were subsequently given impressed
medals. He served on Rodney from 1835 to
1840 principally in the Mediterranean including
a period near Barcelona to act as a guard ship
for British interests at a time of civil war in
Spain. During his time on Rodney an altercation
between two Marines took place, which led to a
death and a subsequent execution by hanging.
The hanging took place aboard the ship while
she was moored at Grand Harbour, Malta and
was witnessed by many of the citizens of
Rodney remained in the Mediterranean and was part of the fleet observing the Egyptian threat to the Ottoman Empire. She
was anchored off Turkey in early 1840 but returned home for a refit in the spring of 1840 and in May, Bailey left the Ship.
If he had remained on board he would have participated in the St Jean d’Acre campaign and earned a NGS with a Syria clasp.

Following his time on Rodney he served upon HMS Raven a survey cutter and one of the smallest ships built at Pembroke and
then for a short spell aboard HMS Scylla while she was undergoing repairs in Plymouth. It was aboard Raven that he ran in
1844 and 4 years later, his service sheet picks up again in 1848. He then served again in the Mediterranean aboard HMS
Ganges first as an AB than part of the Sailmaker’s crew before joining HMS London in 1852.

He served as captain of the mast upon joining the ship and became a Ship’s Corporal in January 1855


Designed by Sir Robert Seppings and built at Chatham, H.M.S. “London” was laid down in October 1827 but only launched in
September 1840 after spending fully thirteen years on the stocks. Measured at 2,590 tons when completed and mounting 90
guns, she was 210 feet in length and carried a crew of about 800 officers and men for her first commission as flagship to
Admiral Percy at Sheerness. After extended service in the Black Sea under Captain Eden during the Crimean War of 1854-56,
she was one of the many capital ships selected for conversion to screw propulsion once peace was concluded and was sent to
Devonport for the necessary alterations.

In September 1854 she took part in the bombardment of Fort Constantine at Sevastopol during the Crimean War. Since she
was a sailing ship she needed to be towed into shallow water close to the fortifications by a steamer lashed to her side and
incurred some damage but survived the battle. A month after the battle she was badly damaged by a violent storm off the
Crimean coast and needed extensive repairs.

London emerged from the refit in May 1858 and proved so successful on her trials – when she achieved 11½ knots under steam
alone – that she was used as the model for many similar conversions in other vessels. Sent to the Mediterranean in 1859, she
came home to be paid off in 1863 and was then laid up until 1874 when she was sent to Zanzibar to act as depot ship for the
anti-slavery patrol for ten years prior to being scrapped in 1884.

Bailey was to serve as a Ships’ Corporal aboard several other ships before he left the navy in June 1863. He served an
additional 8 years as a price for removing the “R” from his service record and held three good conduct badges at the end of
his career