|Captain Mark Wilks Goldie
22nd (Cheshire) Regiment
Mark Wilks Goldie was born on the 1st June 1817 in the
city of Bath, the fourth son of Alexander John Goldie and
Isabella Curwen Taubman. His parents had married in 1804
on the Isle of Man and eventually had eight children.
They resided at “The Nunnery” on the Isle of Man, which
had been built on the site of a Cistercian priory. The
original house was acquired by the Calcot family who sold
it to the Taubman’s in 1776. A new house, designed by John
Pinch, who was an architect from Bath, where the Goldie
family resided for part of the year, was built in 1823.
The estate included a mill and mill-house, several farms and
many cottages. St. Bridget’s chapel remained as a coach-
Mark Goldie was descended from a long succession of high ranking Army officers. His father was a General, his Grand-father was
Lieutenant General Thomas Goldie, and his Great Grand-father was General Alexander John Goldie. It was expected that all five
of Alexander Goldie’s sons would enter the armed services and in 1824 Alexander Taubman Goldie, Mark Goldie’s third eldest
brother, entered the Royal Navy as a first class volunteer. He joined the “Brazen” of 26 guns, which was involved in the capture
of a number of armed slavers and the liberation of nearly 1,000 slaves.
On the 13th January 1825 Mark Goldie’s second eldest brother Thomas Leigh Goldie purchased the rank of Ensign in the 66th
Regiment. He quickly purchased the rank of Lieutenant when it became available on the 10th December 1825.
He was followed on the 8th April 1826 by Mark Goldie’s eldest brother John Taubman Goldie, who purchased the rank of Cornet
in the 3rd Regiment of Dragoon Guards. On the 10th June 1826 he purchased the rank of Ensign and Lieutenant in the 3rd
Regiment of Foot Guards.
In 1831 Mark Goldie now 14 years old, and his father, decided that it would be beneficial for him to attend the Military College
at Sandhurst, in order to gain his future commission without purchase. This would be accomplished by him obtaining the required
final examination marks. On the 9th August 1831 he became an officer cadet at Sandhurst.
The Royal Military College was established at Sandhurst Park, Berkshire and was first occupied in 1812, becoming a college for
gentlemen cadets. It soon gained a reputation for disorderly behaviour, bullying and even rioting. The average age of its students
in the formative years of the college was about 15 years old. Mark Goldie attended for over 3 years, obtaining the local rank of
Corporal. His favourite subjects were Mathematics, Fortification, German and History and the Royal Military College considered
him to be a fair student with good conduct.
His father wrote to Lord Fitzroy Somerset, later Lord Raglan, in July 1833 expressing concern about his son’s future prospects
for gaining his commission. His letter stated that:-
“I shall feel exceedingly obliged by your kindly placing my son Mark Wilks Goldie on the list for an Ensigncy by purchase. I beg
however to be permitted to appraise your Lordship that..... this application is made unknown to the young Gentleman. I merely
wish the vice of preventing disappointment in case of accidental failure at his final examination.”
On the 17th December 1834 he wrote again to Lord Somerset, stating that he did not wish for his son to remain at Sandhurst any
later than May 1835, although his final exams were not due until November of that year. He was still concerned that unforeseen
circumstances may prevent Mark Goldie from obtaining his commission. General Goldie continued:-
“I should not wish to continue him at Sandhurst longer than next May, but rather at once purchase an Ensigncy”
Gentleman Cadet Mark Goldie then purchased his commission for £450 in the 22nd (Cheshire) regiment on the 29th May 1835.
Purchase at this time, was the usual way that an officer obtained his commission. A candidate had to provide evidence that he had
received the education of a Gentleman, obtain the approval of his regimental Colonel and produce a substantial amount of money
which proved his social position and acted as a bond for good behaviour.
The depot companies of the 22nd regiment had returned to England from Cork, Ireland in June 1830 and had remained in this
station until the summer of 1836, when they embarked at Liverpool for Dublin. Here they remained, being joined in 1837 by the
service companies, who had returned from Jamaica and landed at Cork. Mark Goldie was promoted to the next rank of Lieutenant
on the 8th September 1838 without purchase.
The regiment remained in Ireland until 1839 when they embarked at Dublin on the 19th December bound for the United Kingdom
and landed at Liverpool. In 1841 it was announced that the regiment had been selected for overseas service in India. Lieutenant
Mark Goldie and the regiment embarked at Gravesend in January 1841 and landed at Bombay on the 19th May. They then
proceeded to Poona, where an encampment was formed and the regiment stayed there for the rest of the year. In 1842 the
regiment left Poona by divisions and marched to Scinde province, encamping for some time at Kurrachee. It was encamped in two
separate divisions due to Cholera, which had broken out and the men were suffering severely from its effects. By November, the
disease had abated and the regiment then became part of the force being collected by Major-General Sir Charles Napier. He had
been instructed to remove the threat to British power by the Ameers, who governed Upper and Lower Scinde.
Major General Napier’s total force consisted of the 9th regiment of Bengal light cavalry, The Scinde Horse, 1st Grenadier Native
Infantry, the 12th and 25th regiments of Native Infantry and two batteries of Artillery, consisting of 12 guns. His only British
Infantry was the 22nd (Cheshire) regiment.
Their first objective was the destruction of the fort Emaum Ghur which was an eight day march across a desert. About 200
cavalry, together with 300 men from the Cheshire regiment and two howitzers were selected to accompany the expedition, with
two soldiers being paired up to ride on one camel. Lieutenant Goldie was also chosen to accompany the 500 soldiers on what
appeared to be a difficult task. Sir Charles Napier wrote that:-
“For eight days these intrepid soldiers traversed this gloomy region, living from hand to mouth, uncertain each morning if
water could be found in the evening and many times it was not found. The camels found very little food and got weak, but the
stout infantry helped to drag the heavy howitzers up the sandy steeps”
The square structure of the fort, consisting of 40 foot walls of burnt brick, was considered to be impervious to artillery fire,
and mining was thought to be the only solution to the problem of destroying it. When they finally arrived at the fort they found
that it had been abandoned by its garrison, who had left behind vast supplies of grain and gunpowder. The gunpowder was used to
make 24 mines which would bring down the strong walls. The forts destruction was completed on the 15th January 1843 and the
troops returned in triumph to Peer Abu-Bekr without the loss of a man.
A treaty of peace was signed by the Ameers on the 14th February but they then attempted an entry into the British residency,
with 8,000 troops. The light company of the 22nd regiment held them off until their ammunition was nearly expended, when they
slipped away and embarked on board two steam vessels, rejoining their regiment at Hala.
The Ameers then assembled a huge force in an attempt to destroy the few British troops in the country. Sir Charles Napier moved
his troops forward to meet the enemy and on the 17th February 1843, over 22,000 of the Ameer’s troops were discovered to be
1,000 yards away, positioned behind the banks of a river at Meeanee. The enemies’ right flank was covered by the village of
Kattree and offered no weak point but their left was covered by a wall, through which they intended to pour out and attack the
advancing infantry. Sir Charles Napier ordered Captain Tew to take his company of the 22nd regiment and block the entrance:-
“To die there, if it must be – never to give way”
Captain Tew and his 80 men paralysed the actions of 6,000 enemy troops, but it cost him his life.
The British line then advanced across the level plain being “Cheered and elated as they moved by the rattling sound of Tew’s
musketry”, which was swept by heavy cannon fire. The 22nd regiment got to 100 yards from the top of the high sloping bank of
the Fulaillee and were then ordered to charge.
Lieutenant Colonel Pennefather, commanding the 22nd, was severely wounded and Major Poole assumed command.
“The next moment the 22nd were on top of the bank, thinking to bear down all before them, but they staggered back in
amazement at the forest of swords waving in their front. Thick as standing corn and gorgeous as a field of flowers stood the
Beloochees in their many coloured garments and turbans, they filled the broad deep bed of the Fulaillee, they clustered on
both banks and filled the plain beyond......
The Irish soldiers met them with that Queen of weapons, the musket, and sent their foremost masses rolling back in blood”
Captain Conway, Lieutenant Harding and Ensigns Pennefather and Bowden were all wounded, whilst encouraging their men to
sustain the shock of numbers.
Baloch cavalry charges were stopped by musketry and artillery fire but their infantry had high morale and the carnage
continued for nearly five hours, with both sides wavering until finally the Beloochees began to drift away from the battlefield.
They suffered about 5,000 killed at Meeanee while the British losses amounted to about 250. The 22nd regiment had 1 officer,
1 Sergeant and 22 privates killed and 5 officers, 1 Sergeant and 48 privates wounded.
The Ameers still continued to resist and re-assembled the remnants of the army which had fought at Meeanee, together with
some new recruits. On the 24th March 1843 the British troops left Hyderabad at daybreak and about 8.30 a.m. discovered
20,000 Scindian troops assembled behind a nullah at Dubbo. The order to attack was quickly given and the 22nd regiment was
selected to lead the way, commanded by Captain George. They advanced steadily against their enemies left flank under heavy
fire but without returning a shot, until arriving within 40 paces of the enemy troop’s entrenchment. They were then ordered to
storm the position ahead of them, led by their officers. Lieutenant Coote arrived at the rampart and seized an enemy standard.
He was shot down while waving it and cheering on his men. Lieutenant Powell seized another standard. The Scindian Infantry and
artillery fought well again but despite having a strong numerical advantage, were unable to resist the attack of the disciplined
troops of the 22nd regiment. Sir Charles Napier in his official despatch confirmed that:-
“The battle was decided by the troop of Horse artillery and Her Majesty’s 22nd regiment”
The Beloochee force was totally defeated with heavy losses. It was apparent that they would offer no more resistance. British
losses amounted to 267 killed and wounded.
The 22nd regiment had Lieutenants Coote, Chute, Evans and Brennan and Ensign Pennefather wounded. 23 men were killed,
together with 6 sergeants, 1 drummer, 4 corporals and 123 privates wounded. The regiment had mustered only 562 men that
morning as the remainder were sick and had been left at Sukkar in upper Scinde.
On the 18th April the 22nd regiment left Hyderabad and proceeded to Kurrachee where the right wing and headquarters
embarked on the 27th April and sailed to Bombay. Previous to their embarkation, Sir Charles Napier had issued the following
“You well know why I send you to Bombay and you also know how much I dislike doing so. But nothing shall stand in the way of
your health and well being, that I have the power to remove. Cut up by disease and battle, you require rest, that you may
again join us, and add to the laurels with which you are already decorated.”
The reception of the regiment at Bombay, where they disembarked at sunrise on the 2nd May 1843, was unprecedented. A
Royal salute was fired when the first division landed. The garrison troops were drawn up in review order and saluted the troops
of the 22nd as they proceeded to Fort George barracks. A public banquet for the officers of the regiment was given and the
inhabitants of Bombay raised a subscription for the widows and orphans of the regiment.
The regiment then proceeded to Poona, where it arrived on the 1st June 1843. On the 4th July, Queen Victoria commanded that
a medal should be conferred upon all who had been present at the battles of Meeanee and Hyderabad.
When the regiment eventually received the medals, Lieutenant Colonel Pennefather considered that their steel suspension was
not satisfactory and insisted that they had replacement suspension bars made of silver, all at his own expense. This must have
taken some time to complete but eventually Sir Charles Napier made the presentation to the regiment with its medals.
|Captain Mark Goldie’s medal, with its |
Meeanee and Hyderabad 1843
reverse, still has its original steel
suspension. This was due to the fact
that he had left India on the 20th
January 1844 before the replacement
suspension could be fitted.
The 22nd regiment received Royal Authority on the 18th August for the word “Scinde” to be borne on the regimental colour. It
was an honour unique to the regiment.
On the 29th December 1844, Mark Goldie purchased the rank of Captain in the 22nd regiment.
Whilst still at home, he had then arranged an exchange of regiments with Captain Thomas White of the 42nd Regiment, which was
confirmed on the 27th September 1845.
Two months later Captain Goldie married Caroline Arnaud at St. Catherine’s Church, Liverpool.
Caroline was descended from the noble family of Arnaud Guilliame de Barbezan and also Simone Arnaud de Pomponne, Foreign
affairs minister to the French Sun King, Louis XIV.
In December 1845 Captain Goldie arrived at Malta to join the 42nd regiment 1st Battalion (reserve battalion) which had been
stationed on the Island since the 1st January 1843. He was later joined by his wife, Caroline, and on the 17th May 1846, their
first son Alexander John was born.
Mark Goldie requested leave from his regiment from the 6th July until the 20th September 1846 for the purpose of visiting
Italy. It can only be speculated if the birth of his son had prompted Mark Goldie to leave the Army but on his return he wrote a
request on the 22nd September, to hand in his papers. This was accepted and he resigned his commission by October 1846 and
left Malta. Lieutenant Campbell purchased his company by paying the regulated difference of £1,100 on the 21st October 1846.
He returned to the Isle of Man and lived on the Mount Rule estate at Braddan, where his second son, Mark Henry George was
born in 1849. The estate covered 198 acres and he employed four farm labourers as well as six house servants. In 1850 his
daughter, Caroline was born.
In 1851 Mark Goldie was chosen to become a member of the House of Keys. This was the lower branch of Tynwald, the Parliament
of the Isle of Man. The position was at this time unelected, the successful candidate being selected by the Lieutenant Governor
from a choice of two gentlemen. In 1866 the Keys became an elected body which Mark Goldie remained a member until 1872.
During 1853, the notable Archaeologist, Sir Henry Dryden visited the Isle of Man to view and record the numerous Manx
crosses to be found on the Island and stayed with Captain Goldie at Ballagarey.
Late in November 1854, Mark Goldie learnt that his brother Thomas Leigh Goldie had been killed in action at Inkermann. He had
been appointed as a Brigadier General when the British expedition was sent to the Crimea and was given command of the 1st
Brigade 4th Division. He was shot and badly wounded while leading his men against the Russians. His death occurred a few hours
later and he was buried on Cathcart’s hill, being one of three Generals killed on that day.
A 35 foot high memorial in the grounds
of “The Nunnery” was erected by public
subscription to commemorate him.
| Graves of 3 Generals The memorial Obelisk|
By 1861 Mark Goldie was living at
Glencrutchery House in the Isle of Man,
which was another large house with
extensive grounds. He had sent both of his
sons away to Rossall boarding school in
Lancashire, which had been the first school
in the United Kingdom to form a combined
cadet force, in 1860.
It was certain that they would continue
the tradition of serving in the armed
forces in due course.
|Rossall School, Fleetwood|
In 1863 Mark Goldie’s youngest brother George Patrick became
the first head constable of the Isle of Man police force. He had
served in the Army and had obtained the rank of Captain in the
He then resigned his commission and became a member of the Isle
of Man’s House of Keys parliament and also Captain of the Parish
of Marown. His proposed appointment had caused some criticism
in the press as it was felt that he should not be responsible for
making the laws and then having to enforce them.
However, he resigned his membership of the Keys and became
head of the constabulary on the 21st October.
On the 23rd July 1865 Mark Goldie’s wife Caroline died, aged only 39 years old.
In 1867 Mark Goldie was chosen to become Captain of the Parish of Onchan by the Lieutenant Governor of the Island. This
honour was given to the person who was considered to be the most suitable at the time when the vacancy occurred. The role of
Captain of the Parish could be traced back to Viking times when defensive positions had to be manned and defended against
possible invasion. The military connection gradually diminished and the role became more civil. Duties included maintaining the
peace, any matter concerning the work of government, to ensure that public works were carried out and even granting licenses
for brewing or selling Ale.
By the time of the 1871 Census, Mark Goldie had moved again, this time to Summerhill, a large house at Onchan. Although he
appeared to be missing from the census, together with his two sons, his 20 year old daughter Caroline was running the estate.
Caroline married Robert Stephen in 1872 but died soon afterwards on the 7th January 1875.
Mark Wilks Goldie died on the 13th August 1875 at Esplanade, Douglas, Isle of Man, aged 58 years and was buried in the Parish
His two sons both entered the Army, Alexander John becoming a Lieutenant Colonel in 1894 and he died in Bournemouth on the
25th May 1928. Mark Henry was commissioned into the Royal Engineers and became a Colonel. Two of his sons were killed
during the First World War. He died at Portsmouth, also in 1928
|Memorial plaque to Mark Goldie’s |